Dealing with stress especially during deadline season can be difficult. Below is a few things that might improve this period.
- Set realistic goals- many people like to study all the time but this is not beneficial, our brains cannot take in big chunks of information. So for our mental wellbeing when setting a goal think SMART (specific, measurable, attainable, relevant or realistic, time) this will help your goals to be realistic. Make sure to write these goals down so you don’t forget.
- Sleep well
- Keep a routine- with all the chaos that comes with trying to complete a deadline, you may find you are not working to the best of your ability. Try to keep a routine and set yourself time away from studying. For example, watching television in the evening, or having a shower. This will help you relax.
- Don’t do it alone. There are so many benefits from talking to someone. Take yourself out of the situation, have a coffee, go for a quick meal, give your self-time to breathe.
- Remember to breathe. It can help lower your heart rate. It helps you relax lowering the amount of cortisol (stress hormone) in your body.
- Be aware of what you are wearing. On the day of you hand in where something you feel comfortable. Wearing something you have taken the time to pick out improves your mental being and boosts you self-esteem.
- Believe in yourself – Smile. No that’s not an acronym. Smiling can trick your brain in to being happy, and more confident. If you feel content in yourself it makes you feel better minimising stress.