This page contains list of charities and organisations trained to deal with mental health problems and illnesses.
If someone you know is in crisis now, seek help immediately. Or call 999 for immediate assistance.
Mental Health Foundation
- 020 7803 1101
- Improving the lives of those with mental health problems or learning difficulties.
- 020 7780 7300
- Supports people through mental health services.
The Centre for Mental Health
- 020 7827 8300
- Working to improve the quality of life for people with mental health problems.
- 0845 123 2320
- Provides information and support to those who are affected by depression via publications, supporter services and a network of self-help groups.
BACP Find a Therapist Directory
- 01455 883300
- Through the British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy (BACP) you can find out more about counselling services in your area.
- 0843 28 98 401 (every day from 9am-8pm)
- PANDAS Foundation vision is to support every individual with pre and postnatal depression as well as postnatal psychosis in England, Wales and Scotland. We campaign to raise awareness and remove the stigma. We provide our PANDAS Help Line, Support Groups offer online advice to all and much more.
General advice and support -Citizens Advice
- Gives free confidential information and advice to help people sort out their money, legal, consumer and other problems.
- Support for children and young people
- 020 7336 8445
- Provides information and advice for anyone with concerns about the mental health of a child or young person.
- Listening, support and information service run by students for students.
- Other places you could go for support
Lesbian and Gay Switchboard
- 020 7837 7324
- Provides information, support and referral services.
- 020 7346 6700
- The UK’s largest organisation working with refugees and asylum seekers.
- 0300 100 1234
- Offers advice, relationship counselling, sex therapy, workshops, mediation, consultations and support.
- 08444 775 774
- Works to relieve and support those living with anxiety disorders by providing information, support and understanding via an extensive range of services, including 1:1 therapy.
- Carers UK is the voice of carers. It improves their lives by providing information, advice, support and by campaigning for change.
- A charity helping people living with manic depression or bipolar disorder.
- Website: www.bipolaruk.org.uk
- CALM is the Campaign Against Living Miserably, for men aged 15 to 35.
- Phone: 0800 58 58 58 (daily, 5pm to midnight)
- Website: www.thecalmzone.net
Men's Health Forum
- 24/7 stress support for men by text, chat and email.
- Website: www.menshealthforum.org.uk
Mental Health Foundation
- Provides information and support for anyone with mental health problems or learning disabilities.
- Website: www.mentalhealth.org.uk
- Promotes the views and needs of people with mental health problems.
- Phone: 0300 123 3393 (Mon to Fri, 9am to 6pm)
- Website: www.mind.org.uk
- Voluntary charity offering support for sufferers of panic attacks and obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD). Offers a course to help overcome your phobia/OCD. Includes a helpline.
- Phone: 0844 967 4848 (daily, 10am to 10pm)
- Website: www.nopanic.org.uk
- Support for people with OCD. Includes information on treatment and online resources.
- Phone: 0845 390 6232 (Mon to Fri, 9.30am to 5pm)
- Website: www.ocdaction.org.uk
- A charity run by people with OCD, for people with OCD. Includes facts, news and treatments.
- Phone: 0845 120 3778 (Mon to Fri, 9am to 5pm)
- Website: www.ocduk.org
- Young suicide prevention society.
- Phone: HOPElineUK 0800 068 4141 (Mon to Fri,10am to 5pm & 7 to 10pm. Weekends 2 to 5pm)
- Website: www.papyrus-uk.org
Rethink Mental Illness
- Support and advice for people living with mental illness.
- Phone: 0300 5000 927 (Mon to Fri, 9.30am to 4pm)
- Website: www.rethink.org
- Confidential support for people experiencing feelings of distress or despair.
- Phone: 116 123 (free 24-hour helpline)
- Website: www.samaritans.org.uk
- Emotional support, information and guidance for people affected by mental illness, their families and carers.
- SANEline: 0300 304 7000 (daily, 4.30 to 10.30pm)
- Textcare: comfort and care via text message, sent when the person needs it most: http://www.sane.org.uk/textcare
- Peer support forum: www.sane.org.uk/supportforum
- Website: www.sane.org.uk/support
- To find your local services phone: 0808 802 9999 (daily, 12 to 2.30pm, 7 to 9.30pm)
- Website: www.rapecrisis.org.uk
- Phone: 0808 168 9111 (24-hour helpline)
- Website: www.victimsupport.org
- Phone: 0808 801 0677 (adults) or 0808 801 0711 (for under-18s)
- Website: www.b-eat.co.uk
- For eating disorders
- Charity working with people with a learning disability, their families and carers.
- Phone: 0808 808 1111 (Mon to Fri, 9am to 5pm)
- Website: www.mencap.org.uk