There is never a ‘right time’ to seek support but some questions that might help;
- Do you use alcohol or drugs to cope with memories or feelings?
- Do you use alcohol or drugs to control pain?
- Do you use alcohol or drugs to control the intensity of your moods, to face situations that frighten you, or to stay focused on tasks?
- Have you noticed a relationship between your substance use and your mental health? For example, do you get depressed when you drink alcohol?
- Has someone in your family grappled with either a mental disorder or alcohol or drug abuse?
- Do you feel depressed or anxious even when you’re sober?
- Do you have unresolved trauma or a history of abuse?
- Have you previously been treated for either your addiction or your mental health problem? Did the substance abuse treatment fail because of complications from your mental health issue or vice versa?
- NHS unit calculate link (https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/alcohol-support/calculating-alcohol-units/)