What reasons will not be accepted under Mitigating Circumstances?
The following are examples of circumstances for which a claim will not normally be
accepted (this list is not intended to be definitive):
• Medical circumstances that occurred outside the relevant assessment period.
• Medical circumstances without supporting documentation.
• Holiday/employment commitments.
• Financial difficulties.
• Personal computer/printer problems.
• Poor study practice.
• Ignorance of assessment deadlines/times.
• Poor time management.
• Late disclosure of circumstances on the basis that a student felt unable or
uncomfortable confiding in a university staff member about their mitigating